Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Haiku Kickstart

I have never been into writing exercises, but recently I have been mentally writing a haiku on walks with  my dog Lily.  A haiku is short enough for me to remember as we make our way up the towpath along the Erie Canal and back home. I found it to be a nice kickstart to my writing day.  It flexes my vocabulary muscles and gets me thinking of words, rhythm and images. And hopefully, it helps stave off the Alzheimer's gremlin that lurks in my family genes. 

The next time you are taking a walk or waiting in a line or driving the car, try writing a mental haiku.  5 syllables in the first line, 7 in the second, and 5 in the third.  Kick start your prose with poetry.

Golden, flitting joy
Nose to the ground, my Lily
Race, tumble, roll, splash!

No comments:

Post a Comment