Sunday, February 22, 2009

Waiting for the Next Wave

I'm just finishing up one project and haven't started another yet. I'm in that lull, floating in the gap between the waves waiting for the perfect one to ride in next. So which project should I choose? An article about the doctor I researched for my historical fiction? The picture book biography that I stalled on and put aside? Maybe now is the time to pull out one of my older manuscripts that didn't go anywhere. After moldering in the file cabinet, maybe now I can find the fatal flaws. It might be time to cast around for something new. Or maybe I should clean the office first. Box up the research notes, correspondence and first drafts of the books that came out last year. Maybe in my cleaning I'll discover a note from a long forgotten idea. I like this time. Bobbing in the calm water, I have time to look around, assess what I've done and where I want to go. But I don't want this calm to last too long. I need to keep writing. I need to keep researching, and lord knows there are enough true stories out there to choose from.

No comments:

Post a Comment